Aug 11, 2008

Ian Kennedy is headed back to the minors, but it's his breaking ball and not his attitude that the Yankees instructed the young starter to work on.

Kennedy, who said he was "just not real upset" following his dismal performance against the Angels on Friday night, talked with several teammates about his comments, most notably Andy Pettitte.

Pettitte, who told Kennedy he thinks of him as a little brother, didn't want him to clarify his comments, instead talking to the 23-year-old about "how to say it the right way."

Sunday, Kennedy said he regretted the way his words came out, but he didn't want to let one bad night erase the progress he had felt he made in the minors.

"I could tell by some of your faces that it came out wrong," he told reporters. "I was very disappointed in myself, because obviously I always want to do well. I want to help the team win. I hate losing. I really, really hate losing. I wasn't going to let it ruin what I've done in the recent past."

Kennedy will make his next start for Triple-A Scranton on Wednesday, but his primary focus won't be shutting the other team down. Instead, he'll work on his sinker, curveball and slider, trying to refine the three pitches regardless of the results.

"It's still making quality pitches, but it's working on location, working on his breaking ball when he's behind in the count, not being afraid to throw it over," Joe Girardi said. "Just trying to develop him as a starter."

"Not focus on results, but rather the results of what I'm working on," Kennedy said. "Here, you can't work on it, because we're in a pennant race."

No comments: